When I first started drinking craft beer I caught some flack from my uninformed, less sophisticated friends, who of course all claim to be more sophisticated than I. Nevertheless though I did have my reasons for my interest in craft beer. Other than the fact that my big brother said I should try it out, I also realized the alcohol content was much higher for particular brands. As a man at the ripe age of 22, higher alcohol content was the only motive I needed for a 6 pack. Especially since I was considered the light weight in the group. I’ll never forget my first craft beer, Raging Bitch by Flying Dog, 8.3% and to my learning pure deliciousness. I was a changed man. Over the course of the year I started to find more reasons as to why I like craft beer over macro brews and maybe you should too!
First we will start with a list of health benefits in an effort to catch my fitness people that may like to dabble in a few beers. Now, this is not one of those things like, “the more the merrier” although I wish it was. To recieve benefits one must consume in moderation. It is said that 1-2 beers for men, 1 beer women. Sorry ladies.
- Lower risk of heart disease: According to a Harvard study people who drink craft beer are less likely to have high blood pressure, which plays a major role in heart attack risk and heart disease. Furthermore, beer can raise your HDL cholesterol levels (thats the good kind)
- Beer is a rich source of silica, a mineral that helps build strong bones. Extra knowledge: generally pale ales are the highest in silica.
- Polyphenols. Poly-what?! Polyphenals are antioxidants that prevent chronic disease like diabetes, heart disease, cancer, and even Alzheimer’s disease.
Other reasons I like craft beer;
- Bold flavors, or nice and mellow subtle hints of this-and-that. Whatever your tongue prefers, something is out there for you.
- Did I already mention higher alcohol content? For all those fellas out there saying, “$10 for a 6 pack?! I can buy a case of beer for $20!” This may be true, but consider this; Your cheap beer has 2-3% ABV(and taste like garbage) while most craft beers are between 4 to even 12% ABV. That is more than twice as strong in most cases. That also means less trips to the bathroom. Nobody likes trips to the bathroom.
- Prices may seem high, but to piggy back on my previous point, one drinking session is cheaper than buying a case. Sip on those savings.
- Like a wine, certain beers pair very well with certain foods. More to come on pairing beer with food!
- I enjoy the process of tasting new beers. The first pour, the first sniff, the first sip, once you get the hang of tasting beers, it really can be a fun experience.